Well, about 15 minutes after our last lesson, I took a pregnancy test. You're now going to be a big brother. You've already been asking me about where the baby is, can you kiss the baby, and telling the baby night night. I think you're already smitten. I never had a big brother. I always wanted one. I'm a big sister, I was the responsible one. Also the bossy one. No matter what kind of sister I am, something must have stuck, because no matter hard I try, I can't get rid of your uncle... (That was a joke. :) ) There is something about being the oldest child. I almost feel a little guilty about being pregnant again. Your life is going to change, you're no longer going to be the center of the universe around here. You're going to have to learn how to share, you're going to have to learn to help a bit around the house, and you're going to have to learn how to look after your baby brother and sister. Which brings me to lesson 19.
Being a "Big" is a big responsibility but it's fun. You're going to have a little brother or sister, for life. Forever. Long after Dad and I are gone, you're going to have your brother or sister. You'll always look out for each other, you'll always worry about each other. Some days he/she is going to hate you. Some days you're going to hate him/her. You'll get into trouble together, and you'll blame each other. If you're anything like your uncle and me, you'll probably have some fist fights along the way. That's the point of having siblings. There's something about having a brother/sister that teaches you things nothing else in life can. Always look out for your brother/sister. Don't rat them out for every little thing, but know when you need to. Don't take on their responsibilities, but help them out when they need it. Having a sibling can be one of the greatest things, on days when you want to strangle him/her keep telling yourself that. Cause, God knows, you're going to need to.
No comments:
Post a Comment