Exactly 11 years ago today, I was sitting in the basement of a church, eating BBQ trying (and miraculously succeeding) to keep it off my wedding dress, and making sure no one was bored at our wedding reception. Looking back on it, your dad and I were pretty young to get married. I wasn't even old enough to have champagne with our toast. I met your dad when I was 15, he was 17. Just over a year older, but because of our birth dates, 2 months out of the year he's 2 years "older." We were high school sweet hearts, married the summer of my second year of college. By the time we were married, we had known each other for almost 6 years. I know a lot of people never thought we'd get married, and some didn't think it would last because we were so young. Which brings me to lesson 18...
One day, you're going to fall head over heels for someone. It may happen when you're 12, it may happen when you're 22. I'm going to bet it will happen in high school. While, I know that MOST high school relationships rarely work out, I promise I'll try to not tell you it's puppy love. I know that it can work out. I also know it takes a lot of work, especially at that age. It won't be pretty or easy, but it is possible. Your dad actually broke up with me when I was a junior in high school. The break up lasted all of 6 months, and we've been together ever since. I know teen love is real. So is the heart break from it. Even if you don't marry each person you are so sure you love when you're that age. I also know that if you're really, truly meant to be with someone, you'll get back together. Either because of a nasty tornado like us, or because you bump into each other on the street. It could happen months later, or even years. Just remember that not every relationship has to last for ever, nor do they have to be short. One day, you'll meet someone. You'll fall head over heels. Maybe for a month, maybe for a year, maybe for a lifetime. Just remember, when you do find the "one" it will work out. If it doesn't work out, it will hurt. Bad. That doesn't change if you're 12 or 22.
No comments:
Post a Comment