Monday, July 9, 2012

Lesson 17

Time flies. I didn't mean to wait so long before my next entry, we've had a LOT of family in town the last month, Uncle Keith, Nikki, Chrissy, all the boys... add the 4th of July to that and the ER visit for my back, and we've been swamped. You've done so well too. No tantrums, and you've been listening. You're even doing pretty well potty training. Last week, Uncle Keith, Grandma, Grandpa and the three of us went out for lunch. An older man, maybe in his 70s made a point to come over to our table before he left to tell us you were the most well behaved child he'd seen in a restaurant in a long time. I was a little embarrassed, but thanked him just the same. I do think there is a definite difference in how children act today compared to when I was a kid, but I would imagine every generation says that. I do know that with all the play dates we've had lately, we've had a lot of kids over and out of all of them, only 2 so far were well behaved enough that I wouldn't mind having them over again for inside play. It's a fine line to walk when you have other people's children in your home. Especially when the parents are over too. You can't really discipline them, and you have to be careful not to offend a parent when you ask a child to do something or to stop doing something. Which brings me to lesson 17...

No one is ever going to raise their children the way you think they should. There are thousands and thousands of books giving parenting advice. I would imagine at least some of them are right. Still, there are no perfect parents nor are there perfect children. I'm not perfect, you're not perfect. I will say you are one of the most polite two year olds I've seen. I'd like to take credit, but I think some of that just comes from you. Everyone has advice to give, but no one is perfect. Don't ever get into an argument over how to raise a child (unless it is with the mother of YOUR child.) you'll never win it. People don't take well to being given unsolicited advice on parenting. It feels like criticism and no one wants to be criticized. The street goes the other way as well. Always be gracious about unsolicited advice, and then choose on your own whether or not you want to follow it. If the advice giver is stepping over boundaries, just say, "We prefer XYZ. Thanks." Leave it at that. If they continue badgering you, just walk away. Raising a child(ren) is hard enough without letting other people get inside your head. Besides, if you do end up raising the perfect child, you can write a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment