Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lesson 28

Somehow, you went from my little baby to a boy. Nana and Bub bought you a 4-wheeler. You've become quite the daredevil. You go down the steepest part of the hill, as fast as you can, and you even lean forward to gain more speed. You actually drive really well, especially for a 3 year old. You will ride it so long that it has to be charged, and then you'll ride it till the battery dies again. I know it sounds strange, but the 4-wheeler has helped with some of my worrying. Oh, I still worry that you make sure to wear your helmet, or that you'll flip it (though, it's just a battery operated child's toy.) However, seeing how quickly you took to driving it and how well, makes me think that when you're a teen and it's time to teach you how to drive you'll be a safe driver. Which brings me to lesson 28...

Accidents happen. I had a car accident at 16, and another at 18. The first one was my fault, but I still swear the 2nd one wasn't, but the other driver was an older man and I think they took his word for what happened. Anyway, it's not important. What is important is insurance, maintenance, and being a safe driver. Never drive a car without insurance. Not just because it's illegal, but because you never know if there might be an accident, especially one that is your fault. You don't want to be in the position that you'll be paying for an accident for potentially the rest of your life. For the same reason, always wear your seat belt. I knew a girl once who was in an accident, it was actually pretty minor, but without a seat belt, she flew forward and hit her head hard enough the impact killed her. Maintenance is just as important, not only will it keep your car in safe working order, but it will keep you from being stranded at the side of road. There have been many times I've been stuck at the side of the road waiting for a ride or help. If I had known how to do things like check my own oil, I wouldn't have had a problem. Of course, you probably can skip reading this lesson, I'm sure Dad has nailed most of these into your head by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment