Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lesson 23

Oh boy, so much has been going on the last few weeks that I've been slacking in writing again. You're about 90% potty trained. We're still working on getting you to tell us when you need to go and you going #2 on the potty, but you're staying dry almost all the time now. I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. The tumor is going to have to come out, though everyone tells me that it's going to be pretty simple and quick. Pain for a few days and some muscle pain for a few days, but everything should be fine. We found out today that the baby is a boy, you've been saying you wanted a girl, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Dad has had the biggest good news. Due to some business things, we'll be getting a nice check in the mail. Nice enough that we're talking about a new house and where we'd like to move to. If we're going to move, I'd like for it to happen before you start school. I moved around a lot as a kid and hated it. I went to 2 different high schools, 2 different jr. highs, 3 middle, 2 elementary. I went from elementary to middle back to elementary to jr high to high school, back to jr. high, and then high school twice. More than once I went from being in a school with lots of friends to a new school with few to none. I hated the school I graduated from, to this day if it were to burn down, I'd go tap dance on the ashes. Which brings us to lesson 23.

School, especially high school, sucks. Even if you're the popular kid, the whole social process sucks. Sure, there are dances, sports, girls, and other stuff, but there are also things that just suck. Kids, especially today, seem to be getting more and more sadistic and cruel. Schools are making rules and policies to try and combat it that do little more than suck the growth out of being a teen. One week you're the most popular kid in class, then you do something stupid and you're teased non-stop. I don't want you to think school is all horrible, for the most part, I've always enjoyed school. I enjoyed *most* of my classes and extracurriculars. I did make a couple of good friends that I'm still in contact with. I even look fondly on my first 2 high school years. My point is that no matter how awful or awesome your high school experience is, it's not forever. You'll go to college, you'll meet new people, you'll even re-invent yourself a bit. College is a whole new ball game. Then, you'll graduate and start in the real world, which will be another new game. New people, new friends. As you get older you'll realize things like who's dating who, who's driving what, and what people think of you really doesn't matter. I wish I could tell 15 year old me all of that, but sadly, even if I could have, I probably wouldn't have believed me. Just like you probably won't believe me now. Trust me though, those "best years of your life" will pass and you'll find there are plenty more that are better ahead of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment