Your mom... has a temper. I don't have much tolerance for intolerance. Which, in itself I guess is a sign I'm self hating. Anyway, I read today about a group called "One Million Moms" who are boycotting and organizing a complaint campaign to a national store for choosing Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesman. (In case Ellen is no longer popular, she's a homosexual talk show host.) As I looked up their Facebook page, I was floored about the amount of crap they are spewing about "traditional" family values. When in reality, traditional family values mean squat. VALUES have meaning. FAMILY has meaning. TRADITION is just a word people use for "1 mom, 1 dad, and kids." Stringing them all together doesn't change that. "Traditional Family Values" is just a way for jerks to judge people based on what they think is right. Which brings me to lesson 11.
I was raised in a divorced and re-married home. While I'm sure there are times you would disagree, I turned out just fine. Dad was raised in a married home that was created after a divorce, so he has step siblings of his own. They all turned out just fine. The neighbors have 2 children who are smart, energetic, and polite. They are also raised by two moms, whom I might add, are more active in their kids' lives than a lot of hetero couples I know. I hope by the time you read this that I have instilled in you that every family unit has worth. If you have built your family on a strong set of values it won't matter who is on tv selling a sweater. Those values should be strong enough to do what is right, without trying to make everyone else conform to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment