Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lesson 33

You're getting so big, and smart! Too smart. You've started thinking about how to get what you want. The other night, you wanted a cookie before bed. You knew I'd probably say no, so you started with, "Mom, have I been good today?" "Good boys sure love cookies." "Cookies help make me a good boy." So of course, I caved and let you have one. I remember when I was younger, I'd try to think 2 steps ahead to plan for what I could come back with. I think you've inherited that trait. There are other nights when you're not so cute. The other night, I had gotten your brother down for a nap before dinner. I planned to let him nap for 30 minutes or so, then let him stay up til 8 or 9. We're working on getting him to sleep a little later than 5am. He'd been out maybe 10 minutes, and you slammed a cup down by his head, waking him up, then you laughed about it. I was livid. I then spent the next 2 hours with a screaming baby while you'd say, "I woke up Mathew!" then laugh. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. It was only worse when I tried to put him to bed and you came to his room and woke him up 3 more times thinking it was funny. I had to take a time out for 5 minutes before dinner. Which brings me to lesson 33...

I love you. Even when you have me so made I could spit nails. You could kill 100 people tomorrow, and I'd still love you. I would make you take responsibility for your actions, but I'd love you. One day, you're going to have kids, and they're going to piss you off something horrible. There's going to be times where you really would like to just smack them. Now, I know we spank you. I would hope as you get older,  you'll understand the difference between discipline and abuse, but the big point to remember, is NEVER spank a child when you're mad. You've only had me that mad 1 other time. When I was about 3 months pregnant, you RAN off in Walmart. Just, took off running, no warning. It took me forever to catch you, and more than once, if another person hadn't seen you, I would have had to get security to help me find you. You got a spanking for that, but I waited until we got home and I wasn't mad anymore. It's ok to walk away from a child as long as you know they're safe. Cool off, come back and talk about what happened, and if you decide a spanking is needed, talk about it then. Just wait until you know you're in 100% control of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment