When I was a kid, I played with my cousins all the time. We practically grew up together. That's why Cousin Nikki, is Aunt Nikki. I can't tell you how many trips to the zoo or to the park we made. My grandmother used to load us all up in her giant grandmamobile and take us to all kinds of places to play. We moved to Kansas City when I was 12. Nana, Uncle Danny, and I are your only blood family here. Your cousins, unfortunately don't live in town. Maybe by the time you read this, Uncle Danny will have settled down with someone and have kids, but I think you're going to be missing out on the big family experience that I had. Which brings me to lesson 2.
Family is very important, and the family you make is in many ways better than the family you choose. One day you're going to make friends. Hopefully, GREAT friends. They'll become your brothers and sisters in spirit. Choose them wisely. Friends are a dime a dozen, but best friends will be with you when blood family can't. They'll be there for you when there is an emergency, they'll give you advice, they'll be there to get you into trouble, and out of trouble. Never hold someone at arm's length because they're not blood relation, embrace those friends, when you're old you'll have someone who you can trust your own kids with, whose kids will play with yours, and who can tell stories about you that no one else will know.
No comments:
Post a Comment